The Canadian Centre for the Responsibility to Protect is currently recruiting for the following positions on the Board of Directors and welcomes applications from qualified candidates. Based at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, the CCR2P is Canada’s leading research and advocacy organization on the Responsibility to Protect principle. (www.ccr2p.org)
ELIGIBILITY FOR BOARD POSITIONS:
- Any undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at the University of Toronto with a minimum 3.5 CGPA;
- A demonstrated passion and interest for the study and advocacy of R2P principle;
- Able to commit to September 2015-April 2016 (inclusive) and be able to attend monthly board meetings at the University of Toronto St.George campus
- Previous involvement in the CCR2P’s research or advocacy divisions will be an asset. We welcome applications from candidates with language skills and background in IR/Peace & Conflict/political science/history/public policy/law.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit all of the following files by midnight, May 9th 2015 firstname.lastname@example.org with [Position- Your name] in the subject line. Please save your files with your full name included in the title and combine all files into one PDF if possible.
- CCR2P Application form (available on http://ccr2p.org/join-us/)
- statement of interest which clearly identifies your interest in R2P, the CCR2P and the position you are applying for. Please be specific in your skill sets, past extra-curricular experiences, as well as your ideas and visions for CCR2P in the upcoming year as well.
- a full C.V.
- a copy of full university transcript (ROSI screenshot is fine)
- a short writing sample (Please answer the following prompt in 500 words: “This year marks the 10th year anniversary of the 2005 World Summit Outcome document. What are some key lessons learned for R2P in the last decade? How can countries like Canada exercise a leadership role in the implementation of R2P?”)
PLEASE NOTE: Successful candidates may be interviewed in May. All applications will be considered on a rolling basis but only the successful candidates will be contacted. All Board of Directors positions will formally commence on September 1, 2015. A comprehensive training will take place on the first week of September.
(2015-2016) AVAILABLE POSITIONS AT THE CCR2P:
1. Director of Research (Undergraduate)
- The Director of Undergraduate Research is primarily responsible for all undergraduate research efforts at the CCR2P. He/she will report to the Board on a monthly basis and will be responsible for recruitment and training of all of our undergraduate research analysts (100+), as well as ensuring successful outcomes for our bi-annual reports. Previous involvement in the CCR2P’s research division is recommended for this position, and candidates in 3rd or 4th year of study in IR/PCJ/History/Poli-sci will be given preference. Management experience in other research organizations will be valued. Must demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of R2P scholarship. Familiarity with R2Plive.org database and management experience will be valued.Fluency in French is an asset.
2. Director of Research (Undergraduate)
- The Director of Undergraduate Research is primarily responsible for all undergraduate research efforts at the CCR2P. He/she will report to the Board on a monthly basis and will be responsible for recruitment and training of all of our undergraduate research analysts (100+), as well as ensuring successful outcomes for our bi-annual reports. Previous involvement in the CCR2P’s research division is recommended for this position, and candidates in 3rd or 4th year of study in IR/PCJ/History/Poli-sci will be given preference. Must demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of R2P scholarship. Familiarity with R2Plive.org database and management experience will be valued. Fluency in French is an asset.
3. Deputy Director of R2P Scholars Network
- The Deputy Director of R2P Scholars Network will work closely with the Director of the R2P Scholars Network to expand our current fellowship program. The Deputy Director of R2P Scholars Network is primarily responsible for all logistical aspects of maintaining our database and assist the Director as needed on research efforts. An advanced understanding of the R2P scholarship is required for this position and exceptional organizational skills and communication skills will be valued.
4. Director of Logistics & Operations
- The Director of Logistics and Operations is primarily responsible for various logistical and event planning activities of the CCR2P and will play an instrumental role in CCR2P’s annual advocacy campaign. Familiarity with CCR2P’s past advocacy events will be valued, as well as proven record of leadership in extra-curricular activities. Familiarity with various colleges, departments and programs of the U of T and previous successful involvement in similar portfolios at other recognized organizations will be an asset. Excellent teamwork skills, risk management skills and time management skills are required for this position and familiarity with the U of T’s institutional culture will be valued.
5. Director of Finance & Fundraising
- The Director of Finance & Fundraising is primarily responsible for all financial aspects of the CCR2P, including budget projection, accounting, financial records, as well as managing donor relations. Previous experience in commerce/accounting will be valued. Preference will be given to senior students enrolled in economics or at the Rotman School of Commerce. Candidates with successful fundraising experience will be valued.
6. Director of Communication
- The Director of Communication is responsible for all internal communications of CCR2P, as well as liaising with various organizations within the University of Toronto. He/She will be producing an annual communication strategy for the Centre’s activities and coordinate all graphic materials for promotional purpose. Previous experience and training in communication-related roles in another organization will be valued (familiarity with mailchimp required). He/She will liaise closely with the social media coordinator, webmaster and the director of media relations to publicize CCR2P’s activities. Familiarity with Adobe graphic programs, infographics and any other training in graphic design will be valued. Superb command of English and French will be required for this position.
7. Director of Media Relations
- The Director of Media Relations will be primarily responsible for CCR2P’s relationship with the media and the broader public for all of our research and advocacy efforts (as well as the production of annual media strategy). Previous experience in journalism and communication will be valued. He/She will liaise closely with the U of T’s Media Relations Department and creating our media kit, press release and media advisory for all of CCR2P’s events. Familiarity with the R2P scholarship/global human rights community is required for this position. (This position requires bilingual capacity)
8. Managing Directors of R2PLive (2 positions)
- Managing Director of R2Plive.org is responsible for maintaining the quality of online posts made by the R2PLive analysts, to ensure that all of the articles featured on the R2Plive.org remain consistent with the operating mandates of the Centre. This position requires proficiency in Wordpress and any other relevant computer-related skills. Language skills (beyond English and French) will be valued, as well as previous involvement with the R2Plive database. Specific responsibilities include: Assisting with the training the R2Plive analysts at the Fall Orientation Session on the use of Factiva & Wordpress mechanisms; Monitoring and editing the works of R2PLive analysts as needed throughout the year; Working closely with R2PLive analysts to maintain quality control; Producing a quarterly report on the key trends and issues found on R2Plive; Assisting in the developing of an archive of R2P-related literature and past posts to serve as an online bibliography for the CCR2P and the wider R2P community; Coordinating closely with the Director of Undergraduate Research to disseminate the R2PLive's findings; and ensuring up-to-date maintenance of the R2PLive database at all times.
9. Director of Social Media
- Director of Social Media will be primarily responsible for managing CCR2P’s online presence, through the website, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and youtube in a timely manner. Familiarity with squarespace and other web platforms will be valued. Previous experience with human rights-related organization in a communication capacity will be valued. Candidates with a track record of accountability and excellent communication skills, as well as familiarity with CCR2P’s past activities will be valued. (This position requires bilingual capacity)
10. Director of Outreach & Community Engagement
- Director of Outreach & Community Engagement will be responsible for managing various aspects of university-wide relationship and CCR2P’s relationship with the broader GTA community. He/She will work closely with various advocacy committee co-chairs for the promotion of CCR2P’s advocacy efforts and maintain relationship with various human rights organizations at the University of Toronto and across Canada. Previous experience with a non-profit organization on campus is an asset and a candidate with a proven record of experience in a human rights organization will be given preference. Leadership skills will be highly valued for this position.
11. Director of Administration
- Director of Administration will be primarily responsible for all administrative needs of the CCR2P, including meeting agendas, minutes, room booking, record-keeping, and liaising with various board members of the Centre. The Director of Administration provides support to various committees and research divisions within the CCR2P as needed and handles a heavy volume of internal and external communication. Excellent communication skills, teamwork skills and organizational skills are required for this position.
<For any questions, please contact email@example.com>